Saturday, August 16, 2008

Alaska here we come...





O.k, go ahead, pop some popcorn, get comfy and get ready to read another chapter in the life of the Nigburs. (Alright, it's really several chapters because I have been procrastinating, but whose counting?) Let's press the rewind button and go back to July 19th. This is the day we embarked on our journey to Alaska. I am going to spare you all the excruciating details of why we couldn't take Mudge on the cruise with us. However, let's just sum it up with 5 words. No birth certificate and UPS SUCKS!!! Thank goodness for the hero of our story - Auntie C who flew to Seattle and took Mudge back to I.F. for the week! You are the best Carm! Because UPS sucks so bad and can't perform their jobs, (however, they would be more than happy to reimburse us for our shipping costs! Whoopdy Freakin Doo!) Paul and I were forced to stay in Seattle and catch up to the rest of my family in Juneau a few days later. We took advantage of our time there and visited the Space Needle and Pike Place Market where we had the best seafood ever! At the space needle we encountered not only the beautiful skyline of Seattle but some fantastic views of the natives! I actually pretended to pose for a pict so Paul could get a shot of this beauty! It was hilarious!So once we finally got to Alaska, it was absolutely breathtaking. You see something like this and wonder how there are some people out there who don't beleive in God. It blows my mind that he loves us so much, he would create an earth this beautiful to live on. Anyway,here are some of the highlights...

Abundance of Bald Eagles! Seriously, they were everywhere!

Orcas! Orcas! Orcas! This was Kylie's favorite part of the trip. With help from Google and the staff at my mom's office, Kylie was well read on the species way before we got to Alaska. Our first day on the boat we went on a whale watch excursion. We saw a ton of them and they were doing something very unique called bubble net feeding. The tour guide said it was very rare so it was pretty cool that we got to see it!

Hubbard Glacier - I never knew a big hunk of ice floating in the ocean could be so fascinating. The color of the glacier was a vivid crystal blue. The boat took us right up next to it and as we got closer, as big chunks of ice broke off the glacier, you would hear this thunderous noise. It was amazing!

Sitka - Literally the cutest little town on the planet and Paul and I's future summer home. We really did love this place. I loved it for the scenery and it's quaint home town feeling, while Paul loved it for the fishing. He and my brother, Wade, went out all day salmon and halibut fishing.

Ketchikan - This was our last port in Alaska. My mom really wanted to see the "Great American Lumberjack" show. I really had to be talked into this one. I just could not understand what would be so great about watching a couple guys cut down trees. However, I was very sorely mistaken! For real, it was immensely entertaining. The best part of the show was when one of the lumberjacks carved a cute little wooden stool and guess what curly haired beauty they picked out of the crowd to give it to?!?! That's right, the one and only Tink. It was very cute because the stool had wood shavings on the seat of it and when Tink walked up to it to sit down, she had to brush it off first. The crowd just loved her! We were proud little parents for sure.

Victoria, B.C. This was the final stop on our Alaskan excursion, and while it was the shortest of all our stops it was my favorite next to Sitka. We visited the famous Buchart Gardens. I have always made fun of my mom for taking picts of inanimate objects. However, like mother like daughter. I was a picture taking fool at this garden! I have never been somewhere so beautiful. Debbie, all these picts are for you. I promise someday, Paul and I will take you and Dave there. You will love it. It honestly makes Thanksgiving Point look pathetic.

Last, but not least,I couldn't talk anymore about this trip without thanking my mom. Thank you for being so generous and taking us on the trip of a lifetime. Many great memories were made and we owe it all to you. We love you so much!

3 comments:

shel said...

Hey, Andrea...it's Shelley (Chris's wife). It looks like I checked in at the right time. Sounds like it was a great trip. Your mom told us a little about it last weekend when we saw her and Carmen told us all about the crazy story with Sadie. She seemed thrilled that she got the chance to hang out with your little lady. Glad it all worked out and you were able to have a FABULOUS time.

Kristin said...

Hahahahaha!!! I love that you posed for the picture so you could get the thong in the background. That's totally something I would've done:}

Ashley said...

Sounds like you had a great time and I want more stories whenever we get the chance to chat! How sad about Sadie :( Oh, and I want to see more pictures too! We better get together soon....