Wednesday, September 22, 2010

School Year 2010 Begins!

Kylie is now in 1st grade. She's officially been back in school for about a month and has pretty much loved every minute of it. On the first morning as I was driving Ky to school,I asked her if there was anybody in her class from last year that she was hoping to have in her class this year. She says, "pretty much everyone but.... Ashley." This was the little girl from last year that I think became a tad manipulative and controlling. Anyway, much to Kylie's and my own relief, Ashley is not in her class. I still told Ky that she needs to be just as nice to her but let Ashley know that she needs to have other friends too. All we need is clicks to start forming in 1st grade. No thank you! Her teacher's name is Mrs. Jones and when I first saw her she is a little dowdy, disheveled and a bit rough around the edges, but she is supposed to be an amazing teacher but a little strict. So, we'll see what Ky thinks as time progresses. So far so good. She did mention that the other 1st grade teacher looks really nice and she lets the kids bring bugs into class. When I ask her if she likes her teacher she always says yes so I won't rock the boat.
Last year Ky really wanted to ride the bus to school but I just couldn't bring myself to let her. It was hard enough adjusting to her being in school all day let alone not seeing her before or after. However, she remembered that we talked about possibly letting her ride the bus this year. So, Paul and I reluctantly let her ride. Thankfully at her school, the bus only drives one way so she catches it in the morning and I pick her up in the afternoon. I love that because then it gives me a chance to try and catch a glimpse of how her day went. She's not super informative, but at least we're still getting our one on one time. When I tried to snap some picts of her getting on the bus, I didn't want to totally embarrass her so I felt like a secret spy with my super lens watching from afar.
Sadie has done pretty good since Ky went back to school. She gets a little sad sometimes and asks where Ky is but for the most part she is being a little angel. I really like how starting the school year has brought back our structure. Call me OCD but I can only be laid back for so long until I crave order again. So here's to another great school year!

2 comments:

Carmen said...

Andrea - you are going to be so glad to do these posts. The memories and feelings you are documenting are precious now and will be priceless in a few years. My hats off to you....a good and smart mom!

Ashley said...

I love the picture of her getting on the bus. You have a win-win situation: Kylie gets to ride the bus and you get your alone time with her. Exciting day!